Tuesday, January 4, 2011

once more, just a little faster please...

If their is one thing about being a freelancer that you always think about, no matter what holiday season it is, even when you are scarfing down that last plate of battered shrimp from that crazy italian holiday party, your always in the back of your mind wondering..."when is my next gig?".

My last gig took me by surprise....a text that said: "Indie film w/ big stars...you up for it?".
My reply: "Hellz yeah"
You see how professional i am via text.

I came in mid production, I learned a lot and meet one of my all time celeb crushes. Its crazy how small the world is, I tell ya. I was star struck for like a second. Then as I said: "5 minute warning for rehearsal", and he just stared at me blankly with no response...I realized he was human.

Actors have different ways of preparing themselves. I try not to interrupt them, just inform them on whats going on. I don't want to necessarily be their best friend, I just need to make sure they are ready to be on camera and on time. Sounds simple, right? This was my first time running an A list 1st team.

Its like juggling, or better yet, being a waitress all over again. Like having two really good tables at a restaurant that you so want them to be satisfied with your service. All though this was an indie setting, I still wanted them to feel like they are total A listers...which they are.
Attention to detail, basic stuff. How they take their coffee and from where, and that some people prefer a simple slice of pizza over thai food or chicken noodle soup over a catered lunch. Hey, whatever works. Even, if it's reading lines with them in the make up room.

When this happened, i felt like for the first time I wanted to be an actress. I have no idea why really, but saying those lines with this incredible performer before me kind of inspired me. Don't get me wrong here, this will not become the "day to day w/ an actress" blog, but the fact that they are the ones that have to be in front of the camera until we call wrap plus everything else in their lives, well...it must be hard.

So at the end of the day when an oscar nominee actress says to you that you are very professional...well that made my year, at least what was left of it at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment